Thursday, June 30, 2011

BEST Featured Artist: Mystic Wynd

Artemis Bracelet
This week we are featuring a very important shop: Mystic Wynd! Karen, the owner of this Arizona-based handmade store, is also the team leader for the BESTeam on Etsy, which is a group that supports handmade artists through blogging.  When she is not coordinating the 40+ team members, Karen makes various pieces of jewelry such as earrings, bracelets, rosaries, and necklaces in a variety of materials including gemstones, crystals, shells, brass, and vintage cabochons.  One of the unique aspects of this shop is that Karen's jewelry designs are so eclectic.  On her site you can find gifts ranging from a pair of sophisticated chandelier earrings to the fun koi shell earrings, as well as a cute chrysanthemum ring and even a spiritual turquoise chakra necklace.

We were fortunate enough to speak with Karen and find out a little more about her and her jewelry:
 
Koi Pond Shell Earrings
How long have you been making jewelry?

"I probably made my first piece of jewelry when I was about 4, and while I've picked up beads now and then, I didn't pursue it as more than a hobby until about 4 years ago. 

Who did you learn your craft from? Was there a reason you chose that particular craft?  
"I'm self taught, because that's how I usually learn things! I've attended some workshops along the way and continue to explore different techniques, but experimenting is my favorite way to come up with some unique results. As for why jewelry design? I think jewelry is probably the one thing that can change not only a person's look, but the way they feel about themselves, in the quickest and easiest way. I also love the fact that you can turn just about anything into jewelry!"

Winds of Change Necklace
Most people have something or someone they look to for inspiration - what or who is yours? 
"For me, it's just life in general. I draw on memories, stories I read, movies I see, nature... even the weather!"

Name one thing not many people know about you. 
"Hmmm... I don't dance and I refuse to wear high heels because I'm a klutz with three left feet."

When you're not being artistically creative, what do you like to do to pass the time? 
Chrysanthemum Ring in Yellow
"I like to spend time with my family - especially my grandkids, because they're all such amazing little individuals with such distinct personalities!"

If you had a time machine, what historical era would you transport yourself to?
 
"Tough one... there are so many eras that fascinate me. I think I would want to go back to 10,000 BC to see if Atlantis really existed and was as technologically advanced as some would like us to believe."

Thank you Karen for answering our questions! If you would like to found out more about Karen and MysticWynd, check out her other locations on the web:


***If you are an Etsy artist and are interested in writing weekly blog articles featuring other Etsy artists, while also gaining exposure for your own store, then head over and check out the BESTeam for more information***

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely feature on my shop! I thoroughly enjoyed your "interview" and the opportunity to share a little of myself with you and your audience!

    Karen
    MysticWynd
    MysticWynd on Etsy

    ReplyDelete