Thursday, November 29, 2012

Riibbon Candy and Brioche Knits

One of my favorite Christmas memories is sneaking an extra piece or two from the box of ribbon candy that appeared in  our kitchen early in December.  I loved the folds and wrinkles that made the candy sparkle. The intense flavors of the season--cinnamon, cloves, peppermint, and spearmint-- delighted me. I remember the sweet tang of spices and the sharp bite of the broken edges of the strips of candy. My mouth waters when I think of it.

Memories of that candy flooded in early this  month as I put the finishing touches on a brioche scarf I made for a friend's birthday. It may have been the colors, pumpkin and clove, or it may have been the alternating light and dark rows, I'll never know. I do know that when I folded the scarf for mailing, I flashed on the s curves of ribbon candy.

What would happen, I wondered, if I took the colors of ribbon candy and knitted them in reversible knit?

I grabbed a skein of red and silver yarn and a second skein of green and gold fleck yarn. The result is a seven foot piece of knitted ribbon candy, ready to keep neck and head warm. I made a pair of wrist warmers to match. They are going on etsy tomorrow. I started a second set of knitted candy this evening. It is red and white, clove and peppermint, of course. I can almost smell the spices and sense them on my tongue. Best of all they are calorie free and do not impair my dental health.

I started my search for real ribbon candy Thanksgiving weekend and I shall keep searching until i find it Just as a precaution a box of ribbon candy is going on my list for Santa.  this year. In the meantime I shall knit more ribbon candy scarves, hats and gloves in keeping with the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment