Monday, December 19, 2011

Selecting yarn for winter socks.

Take care when selecting yarn for winter socks. In addition to weight and color there are important decisions. Winter socks require extra warmth and good wear. If the socks are to be worn as boot liners make sure you use merino wool or cotton with a little acrylic. I advise merino wool to keep the moisture inside the socks. The cotton socks work in Wellington boots because the rubber of the boots keeps the moisture inside the boot and the cotton wicks it away from the wearer's foot. My grandchildren wear their socks inside their rubber boots and never complain of cold toes. I like the feel of merino wool with a little cashmere when I snuggle under the blankets and watch television. 100% acrylic socks keep your feet warm but they can also give you a problem with excess moisture (they don't wick the moisture away from your feet or absorb it into the fibers). The colors are spectacular but the downside is greater than with a natural fiber yarn or a combination natural fiber/acrylic blend. I will post pictures of the finished cotton and some wool socks on my etsy shop sometime next week. So far nothing beats the wool/silk/cashmere yarns for lounging socks. Some very delicate silk socks make Sunday morning in bed with the crossword paper very luxurious. I make those for friends around Valentine's Day. Very romantic.

5 comments:

  1. Great advice and information. When my feet are cold, my whole body feels cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, informative post.
    My feet are always cold.

    Following your blog! :)
    So nice to meet you through BYW.
    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I meant to say "nice to meet you through Etsy Blogging Buddies!"
    Not quite awake yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! My feet are always cold too! I am your newest follower via the Blogging Buddies Follow Me Thread!

    Welcome to the team!
    Brandi - Keeping It Indie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words. I am going to blog more regularly this year. Today's title is Now I Sit Me Down to Knit.

    ReplyDelete